News for 2017
- Looking forward to judging the Autumn House Fiction Contest soon!
- Arkansas Literary Festival April 27-30
- Argenta Reading Series April 28th
- Reading in St. Louis at the River Styx Reading Series April 17th
- Happy to announce that I’ve just been awarded a fellowship this fall at The Camargo Foundation in Cassis, France
- Selected for a residency this June at The Chateau de Lavigny! Switzerland here I come!
- Yay! A VCCA residency. My first time; heard so many good things!
- The Loss of All Lost Things wins a Silver Ippy (Independent Book Publisher’s Award) in the Northeast Fiction Regional Category!
- The Loss of All Lost Things is a Finalist for the 2017 Paterson Prize in Fiction!
- The Loss of All Lost Things is a Finalist for the IndieFab Award in Literary Fiction!
- The Loss of All Lost Things is a Finalist for the IndieFab Award in Short Stories!
- Visiting Writer this March at Vermont Studio Center
- Judging the Ohio State University Jacobson Prize
- The Loss of All Lost Things Listed as one of the 5 Amazing Books By Young Black Women That You Need To Read This Month! See the list here.
- Interviewed by Sian Griffiths for Necessary Fiction
- Interviewed by Heidi Durrow for The Mixed Experience Podcast. Take a listen here.
News for 2016
- The Loss of All Lost Things listed at Black Xmas: Ideas for your last minute Holiday gifts. See list here.
- The Loss of All Lost Things Listed as one of The Freshest Books of 2016. See list here.
- The Loss of All Lost Things listed on Missed Connections: Books You May Have Overlooked in 2016. See list here.
- Check out my essay for the Story Prize Blog
- The Loss of All Lost Things wins the Royal Palm Literary Award
- Now We Will Be Happy wins Second Place for the Royal Palm Literary Award
- Here’s my Finalist page for the William Saroyan Prize. Snazzy!
- Now We Will Be Happy wins the International Latino Book Award for Most Inspirational Fiction!!!!! Wepa!!!!
- The Loss of All Lost Things brings home THREE FAPA Awards–one silver and two gold! I feel like an Olympian!
- Now We Will Be Happy is chosen out of 361 entries as Finalist for the William Saroyan Prize! Read the press release here.
- BookRiot lists The Loss of All Lost Things as one of the 100 Must-Read Short Story collections. Check out the list.
- The Root lists The Loss of All Lost Things as one of the 15 New Books By Black Authors to Dive Into This Summer. Check out the list.
- Off the Shelf Interview for the Evanston Public Library. Read the interview and see what I have to say about writing about loss.
- Now We Will Be Happy is a Finalist for the International Latino Book Award, Most Inspirational Fiction category! Wish me luck! The winner will be announced at a ceremony in Los Angeles on September 8th.
- I made the Lit50 list! Happy to be chosen as one of Newcity’s 50 writers who really book in Chicago! http://lit.newcity.com/2016/05/26/lit-50-who-really-books-in-chicago-2016/3/
- Now We Will Be Happy wins an International Book Award in the Literary Fiction Category!
- Now We Will Be Happy is shortlisted for the William Saroyan International Prize!
- I review Susan Muaddi Darraj’s lovely collection at The Rumpus.
- Now We Will Be Happy is named a Finalist for the Next Generation Indie Award in the Short Story Fiction Category!
- My essay on work is up at Glimmer Train.
- Now We Will Be Happy is named a Finalist for the National Indie Excellence Awards in the Short Stories Category!
- Amina is named the recipient of the Chicago Public Library’s 21st Century Award!
- Now We Will Be Happy has won a Silver IPPY Award in Multicultural Fiction.
- I am so happy to announce that I have received a Dora Maar Fellowship to spend a month at the Dora Maar House in Menerbes, France. Guess who’s going to France! Parlez vous?
- The Loss of All Lost Things is reviewed in The New York Times, a rare feat for a short story collection!
- My blog essay on women and work in fiction is up at Read Her Like An Open Book.
- As a proud member of Delta Sigma Theta, I was honored to be included in the Eastern Region’s Delta Authors on Tour event on March 19th. This event was hosted by the Philadelphia Alumnae Chapter of my beloved sorority, Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. See the flyer here.
- Amina will be a featured author at Literary Jazz Brunch Cafe on April 16, 2016. This event is sponsored by Footprints Foundation, a worthy organization making a real difference. Read more about the organization here. Order jazz brunch tickets here.
- Exciting announcement: Amina is returning to the Sewanee Writers Conference as a member of its staff. Yay!
- Marva Hinton interviews Amina for her podcast Readmore: listen here.
- Read Amina’s review of Ravi Howard’s novel Driving the King at the Fiction Advocate: read review here.
- Amina Gautier wins a Provost Research Award for summer 2016!
- Amina interviews novelist Ravi Howard at the Sunday Rumpus: read the interview here.
Now We Will Be Happy wins a USA Best Book Award in the African American Fiction Category!
Now We Will Be Happy is a Finalist for a USA Best Book Award in Literary Fiction
Read my review of Sanderia Faye’s novel Mourner’s Bench: read review here.
Jaquira Diaz mentions The Loss of All Lost Things in her article for THE MILLIONS:
“Gautier is definitely a prose stylist. Her sentences are lyrical, evocative, often haunting.”
Read more here.
News for 2015
- Now We Will Be Happy wins the Florida Authors and Publishers Association Award Gold Medal in Short Fiction.
- Read my review of Julie Iroumanya’s novel: read review here.
- Read my review of Viet Thanh Nguyen’s novel: read review here.
- Amina Gautier has won the Elixir Press Award for her short story collection The Loss of All Lost Things. Look for it in 2016!
- At-Risk wins an Eric Hoffer Book Award in the Legacy Fiction category
- At-Risk wins a First Horizon Award
- Amina Gautier is a Finalist in the Summer Literary Seminars Disquiet International Literary Contest and will receive a partial scholarship to attend a two week workshop this summer in Lisbon, Portugal
- “Thankful Chinese” is a Finalist in the Southeast Review’s World’s Best Short Story Contest
- Now We Will Be Happy is Longlisted for The Frank O’Connor International Short Story Award
- At-Risk is a Finalist for Go on Girl! New Author of the Year Award
- At-Risk is a Finalist for the Da Vinci Eye Award
- At-Risk is a Finalist for the Eric Hoffer Award
- Chicago Public Library asks me to write about a Chicago Literary Hero. Read what I had to say: here!
- Now We Will Be Happy is Longlisted for The Chautauqua Prize in Fiction
- Amina Gautier wins a Provost Summer Research Award for summer 2015
- Amina Gautier win a Faculty Fellowship at University of Miami Center for the Humanities for the coming 2015-2016 academic year
- Amina Gautier’s story “Candidate” winner of the 2012 Crazyhorse Fiction Prize is reprinted in this beautiful anthology All About Skin: An Anthology of Award-Winning Fiction by Women Writers of Color. Also featuring work by Jennine Capo Crucet, Patricia Engel, Emily Raboteau and Renee Sims. Check it out here!
- Amina Gautier’s story “A Cup of My Time” winner of the 2009 Danahy Fiction Prize is reprinted in this beautiful anthology Choose Wisely: 35 Women Up to No Good. Also featuring work by Aimee Bender, Joyce Carol Oates. Check it out here!